.post-body img { width:600px; height:auto; }

Sunday, 23 August 2015

Making a flying geese baby quilt

Well, the baby quilt got finished in time, and without any ridiculous late nights – got to be happy about that! The house did look slightly like a tornado had whipped through by the time I was done though.

I'm using a lot of Kaffe Fassett shot cottons at the moment. They were all from bundles I bought at Brooklyn General Store a few years ago. 
For this quilt I used seven fat quarters for the front (pictured below), one dark grey fat quarter for the binding and three more fat quarters for the back, along with some leftover scraps from the front.
I used this no-waste method of flying geese construction, with my large squares being 6 1/4" and the small ones as 3 3/8". I made a few of the odd-numbered flying geese as one-offs (the no-waste method makes them four at a time), so they'd all fit on the fabric, but I made a cutting plan first so I knew I'd be OK. If you're interested in the cutting plan, I'm happy to send it to you if contact me through the email address at the bottom of this site. 

My quilting foot decided to give up three-quarters through the quilting, but my standard foot finished the job fine. It's not perfect, but I don't think my quilting ever will be.
And last, but not least, I had these labels printed up at Spoonflower with my last batch of fabric. It sure beats hand-stitching a label on the back!

The quilt was gifted yesterday and, happily, mum-to-be was pretty chuffed to receive it, which, for me, is a big part of what making is all about.

Happy week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment